Monday, January 12, 2009

Philosophical Tidbit of the Break

Philip Johnson writes in his brilliant yet all-but-over-my-head book, Reason in the Balance:

"(A) theory that is the product of a mind can never adequately explain the mind the produced the theory. . . Once we try to explain the mind as a product of its own discoveries, we are in a hall of mirrors with no exit."


That simple thought gave me great encouragement and comfort when I read it. In order to explain our own minds, the "theory" that created it must be beyond our comprehension. In other words, there must be a certain element of the truth that we cannot possibly understand.


"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been his counselor?'" (Romans 11:33-34)

1 comment:

SamanthaMarie said...

Good post (:

The post below "the weight of our words," that idea has been laid heavily upon my heart. That song perfectly explains how I've been feeling lately. And I quite agree with the response that was drawn out from you.

Wonderful blog :)